Translate

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Don't Overlook Looney Tunes



Much about art is mysterious and imponderable; much about color harmony is complex - and subjective.  I have studied, and applied the theory of color and sometimes got good results.  Systems of color theory are not to be scoffed at.

But this is Nuts & Bolts, and since I am not an innovator in the field of color harmony, I will admit to how I have achieved some of my best results: by stealing from other artists whose paintings sing with gorgeous chords which I couldn't have come up with on my own.


One of my favorite sources is Persian miniatures from the Middle Ages.


A fairly recent painting of mine, "Pauline Street Breakdown" Now hangs in the office of a famous medical doctor.



It employs a color scheme plundered from a little six-inch painting made in China or India eight hundred years ago.

Another rich source, for me, is American animated cartoons.

 
 
 


I'll bet Matisse had a look at some of those book illustrations from the East.  My conscience is clear.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment