Translate

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cease Fire

In a previous post,  http://williambuffett.blogspot.com/2012/04/another-approach-to-color-harmony.html  I promised to publish the result of my stab at color harmony by means of the trial and error method.  At the time, the painting looked like this:



I wanted the picture flooded with sunshine; that meant a blue or bluish color for the sky and foliage of greens ranging from gray-blue green to bright, light lime.



With those relatively natural colors as a starting point, I had mostly to choose the hues to use on the building. Groping toward a harmonious choice, I tried yellow, orange, pink and various blues and greens.  I settled on violet by trial and error; violet felt best.

But in order to maintain a strong pattern of light and dark, the violet had to be almost white.  I tried to strengthen the violet by placing some (dull) yellow near it - the shutters and a flowering bush.



The thinking behind the evolution of this picture demonstrates the process of throwing the color scheme out of balance, then trying to restore harmony.  Back and forth until a cease-fire is achieved and terms of surrender are signed.  Peace.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment